Do you find yourself wrapping in a blanket all winter long no matter how high you turn your thermostat? The cause might be more than just your fickle body temperature. The culprit make actually be a leaky window or door creating drafts.
Windows and doors are notorious for causing cold, windy drafts in the home, especially during winter. While you may enjoy snuggling with your favorite quilt don’t let poorly functioning door and windows force you to. You can actually take steps today to increase the heat inside your home all season long.
The Harmful Effects of a Window or Door Draft
There are many ways drafty windows and doors can wreak havoc on the home:
- Drafts can make the living space uncomfortable (and cause you to bundle up with a blanket).
- Drafts reduce the temperature in the home causing the furnace to run harder and longer to maintain a consistent temperature.
- Drafts have even been known to cause health problems such as headaches, sore joints and more.
Why Drafts Happen
Drafty windows and doors can occur for a number of reasons:
- Weather stripping becomes deteriorated. Even a small section of missing weather stripping can lead to a cold spot.
- Extreme outdoor weather changes cause some windows and doors to contract during a cold peak. This can allow cool air to seep in.
- Poor installation can also lead to drafty windows and doors. Make sure you only trust the job to an experienced contractor such as Custom Installations.
- Do your windows and doors experience condensation? Condensation leads to excess moisture. This moisture can break a seal allowing cool air to draft in.
- Cracked or warped frames are notorious for creating small gaps around the windows or doors.
While you may enjoy wearing a warm sweater or fuzzy blanket around the home, you shouldn’t have to because of a draft. With winter right around the corner, now is the perfect time to get your home inspected.
For the best window and door services in Chicago trust the team at Custom Installations. We not only offer superior installations but also expert inspections and repair. We work with the top brands in the window and door industries to ensure each of our clients receive the best products for their unique needs. Before old man winter returns, schedule your window and door inspection today!