It is that time of year again where the temperature drops, the winds howl, and the snow and ice begin to pile up. Did you know that before winter arrives there are many things you can do to prepare your home for winters wrath? Being proficient before the cold season is here can help: lower your energy bill, increase the efficiency and lifespan of your home, and make your property safer during the winter months.
Follow this checklist to get your home winter-ready:
Windows and Doors
– Check all weather stripping around the doors and windows to ensure that there is a proper seal to prevent heat from escaping.
– Replace all window and door screens with storm windows and doors.
– Examine the window and door frames for cracks and/or rotting wood. Although sometimes hard to see, the smallest of cracks can let the heat escape causing your furnace to run longer.
– Inspect the roof for any missing, damaged, or warped shingles and replace as necessary to prevent leaks.
– Check for deterioration around chimney flashing, skylights, and vent pipes. If needed, seal the joints using caulk or a roof cement compound.
– Ensure all vents are clear of all debris to allow proper air flow in and out of the home to prevent moisture build up in the attic.
– Clean all gutters of debris to ensure proper melting and roof run-off during the thawing period.
– Inspect all downspouts and gutters for proper fastening. If needed, repair or replace damaged attachments. The weight of snow and ice can pull gutters off the house very quickly.
– Ensure that downspouts are at least 5 feet away from the foundation of the home to prevent any pooling or flooding which can cause damage when melting and re-freezing occur.
While many of these tasks can be completed by the average homeowner, some are best left to a trained professional. At Custom Installations, we offer many exterior solutions to assist in getting your homes exterior ready for winter. Our expert technicians provide quality gutter cleaning services, roof inspections and repairs, and window installation all at a great value to our customers.
Contact us for more information or to schedule a consultation.